Questions to ask before you select an e-commerce provider
These are the questions you need to have answered before you put your website into someone else’s hands.
- Is it mobile friendly?
- What are the speeds like?
- What’s it like for storage and bandwidth?
- What are the security features and does it offer encryption?
- How does it handle search engine optimisation?
- How does it handle discounts, coupons and specials?
- How does it integrate with my CRM, shipping and inventory control systems? If the product is integrated with others, how tightly – is it a two-way integration? How can I fix the rare integration failures?
- Is the reporting detailed enough for my needs and easy to use? Will the reports be available not only with the information I want, but in the correct format?
- Do I want to offer shoppers a unique online experience or would a more standard (but less customisable) hosted site meet my needs just as well?
- If I’m already thinking I might start small with a hosted site then jump to something more flexible as I grow my business, am I locked-in or can I migrate to another platform?
- New systems mean we change how we do things. The team needs training and we need to execute well. Do I have the appetite to make the change now?
- How much money do I need to keep this going and how does this compare to expected revenue?